As I wrote in the last installment of this blog, we had adjusted our plans to arrive in New Bern North Carolina at the marina we thought would provide reasonable protection. As this storm approached we took down our bimini, secured our sails and everything else that we chose to leave out on deck. We also made sure that our batteries remained charged and water tanks were full just in case the Marina lost either.
Back to normal
As it turned out, we briefly had lots of wind, although not hurricane force, and lots of rain. The readers may have heard on the news about the resulting flooding in eastern North Carolina. It turns out that the heaviest rain came to inland areas farther from the coast. The flooding was close to or exceeded earlier records. New Bern sits on the Neuse and Trent Rivers, both of which flooded further upstream. However the rivers widen a great deal by the time they reach New Bern. Hence we experienced little flooding.
Once the storm had passed, we sought as much information as we could about the conditions on the ICW south of us and what changes we might expect due to the storm damage. Several sources looked to be helpful. We had decided not to leave New Bern for a week or two in order to allow the debris that was found to be in the ICW to settle out and some of the problems along the route to be resolved. One particular bridge it appeared would not be open to boat traffic until the very end of October or even later, so we were not in a big hurry to head south until things sounded better.
The time we would spend at the dock in New Bern we decided would allow us to accomplish the tasks that we might not have planned to take care of until we got to Marathon. Just down the dock from us was a canvas and sail maker, and we invited him to give us a quote for the replacement of our bimini and enclosure. We knew we would need to get a new one this year since the current one was 18 years old – well past its useful life. His price and timing were good. We found that we could get it done while we were waiting out the problems on the ICW.
Additionally we dealt with some electrical issues and took care of waxing of the hull and redoing the teak. We also replaced a noisy water pump with something at least somewhat quieter. And, of course, Sandra worked on her pine needle baskets as well as some knitting.
Perhaps the biggest surprise to some of our readers was the fact that we took Maddie to PetSmart and had her groomed for the first time in her five-year life. She didn’t like all aspects of it, but she seemed to survive and looks much better now. Her hair isn’t a lot shorter but it is a somewhat shorter at this point and looks a lot better.
We saved the canvas from our old bimini, and Sandra made covers for our ugly fuel jugs. While the sewing machine was out, we also restitched the jib. We didn’t bother with the main, since it has ripped and must be replaced when we get to our “winter” home.
On Sunday (10/23) we learned the bridge we’ve been waiting on (the Socastee) was now functioning once again, since the flood waters had finally receded. So we prepared to leave. Yesterday (10/25) we set out for Moorehead City and points south. All went well, and we noted that the current was running strong. It seems that the flood waters are still receding. For those who might be familiar with the Adams Creek Canal, we got 2 mph boost rather than getting slowed by nearly 1 mph as was predicted by our chart plotter. It would nice if we saw high water all along the ICW, but only time will tell. One fact is apparent: many boaters who were waiting for the Socastee Bridge to open are now on the move. We will have plenty of company as we travel. Will spend tonight at Mile Hammock and head to Wrightsville Beach in the morning. We are currently at Mile Marker 244. That means we still have 1000 miles of boat travel to reach Marathon. But we are on the way.